Card Buildings

I have been looking at making a lot more card buildings for my game, but one thing that makes me hesitate is the fact I have to use the designs of what other people make.

 This means all my buildings would more or less be the same, and or that I have to use the dimensions of those buildings, making me design my city around those buildings, not the buildings designed around my city.

 As I am new to card stock models, I could be totally wrong with these thoughts.

Then there is this option: a program that lets you design your own models.

 I like very much the Cargo container program, as it is great fun to use and very simple to create cargo containers.

I did a quick search on the web and found a program called "Model Builder".  It is $45USD, and I am trying to save money for my trip to Japan in November, but I really want to design my own buildings!

For those wanting a look at this program, you can see it here: Model Builder

LOL - as I have typed this entry, I have almost sold myself on the idea of buying the program.

There are videos on how to use the program, and it looks fairly easy to use. Why did I have to watch the videos!!!! You can see them here: videos

Arrrgggggh! I can download it from the site rather that have a disc sent to me - it is cheaper, and I don't need to pay for postage!

And with the exchange rate, it is a little bit cheaper still.

Sold!


(This reminds me of when I worked in a game shop. I was so convincing in my sales pitch to a customer asking about Battletech that I actually bought the game myself. Doh!)


I hope to have a building to show off later today: provide every thing works that is.

EDIT: wow - it has been a day of let downs. The bloody thing wont install. It is looking for a C:\ProgramData directory to change, and this is something only found in Vista, not XP. The program is meant to run in XP but I can't get it to work at all.

I have sent an email to the company asking for help, but that will most likely be a 12 - 24 hour reply because of the time zones around the world :-(

EDIT to the EDIT: I have a reply from the company that makes the program - they sent me the previous version of Model Builder and I was able to install this.
 A bit of snooping around hints that the installation problem may be related to the need for some Windows updates that allow XP to view the new format of Doc and XML sheets.

3 comments:

Zombie Ad said...

Glad you got it working. It'll be cool to see what you come up with,

Vampifan said...

I am very intrigued to see what you come up with. I wish you well on what could be the start of an epic endeavout.

shintokamikaze said...

wow,they look cool and a lot of varirty,cant wait till you get some made